Ask the experts: Am I entitled to tax relief now that I am married?

Lisa Vaughan
19 October 2017


I got married in March 2016. What tax relief can I get as a married man and how do I go about claiming it?



You may be eligible for the Marriage Tax Allowance, which permits a spouse or civil partner who does not pay income tax to transfer up to £1,150 of their personal tax-free allowance to their partner. You could save up to £230 in this tax year.

HMRC is said to have stepped up its marketing campaign to ensure people do not miss out on the allowance, as many eligible people have not been taking advantage of it.

To be eligible, either you or your spouse must earn less than £11,500 a year and the other partner must be a basic-rate taxpayer, earning between £11,501 and £45,000 a year.

The new allowance is open to couples who are either married or in a civil partnership. It also applies to those claiming a pension, but you must have been born on or after 6 April 1935. If you were born before 6 April 1935, you could qualify for the Married Couple’s Allowance instead – see for more on this and to download the form to make a claim – it will only take a few minutes.

If your application is successful, changes to your personal allowances will be backdated to the start of the tax year and will automatically renew every year until you stop it, or your circumstances change..

Lisa Vaughan is a chartered financial planner at Fogwill & Jones.