Redundancy: Am I entitled to any benefits?

8 November 2012


I am 62 and was made redundant three years ago. I have £9,000 in savings and get a pension of £600 a month. My wife earns £333 a month. Am I entitled to any help with bills such as my rent? I claimed Jobseeker's Allowance for six months and at that time I had more than £16,000 in the bank. I was told I had enough to live on, but now my savings are shrinking. Is there any help I can get?


In order to get a more precise idea of what you are entitled to, you would need to provide a benefits adviser with further information about your household circumstances.

Entitlements vary depending on your current situation, and what you can claim has potentially changed since your savings have decreased.

There is a range of benefits you may be entitled to. Some, such as Jobseeker's Allowance or pension benefits, are based on the national insurance contributions you have paid. Others are based on means-testing, and so are dependent on the money you have coming in as well as savings.


Based on the information you have given, it is possible you may be able to claim Pension Credit to help boost your income. Depending on your circumstances, this may be available despite your savings. Contact the Pension Credit application line on 0800 991 234 for more information.

In addition, you may also be able to claim Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit for help with your rent. To find out more visit, contact your local council or call the benefits enquiry helpline on 0800 055 6688.