Can I claim any benefits now that my wife’s tax credits have been cut?

8 October 2015


Please can you help me work out if I am entitled to any benefits? I am 66 but have not had a job since 2002. In 2004, I had a mental breakdown and have been on antidepressants ever since. For the past 13 years my partner and I have survived on her wages.I did sign on briefly in 2009 but did not get any benefits due to my partner’s income. She has now had her work tax credit cut substantially and our projected monthly income is far less than our outgoings.I would just like to know if I could be claiming anything that could help.


As you are over state pension age, if you have not done so already, you could claim state retirement pension, which is provided if you have paid and been credited with sufficient National Insurance contributions.

If the impact of your health condition is so severe that you have care needs, then you should look into whether you are entitled to Attendance Allowance.

As your partner has experienced a cut to her income, you could see if you are entitled to any Pension Credit if your household income is low enough.

If you are liable to pay rent or council tax, then you might be entitled to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, depending on how low your household income is.

To determine what benefits you are entitled to and how much you might be able to claim, try the benefits calculator at You can also find out whether you might be able to apply for other help from more than 3,000 charitable funds featured in Turn2us’s free online grants search tool.

David Samson is a welfare specialist at Turn2us.