Pay less tax

The financial pros and cons of marriage

You may think that proposing to the one you love on Valentine’s Day is a smart financial move, as married couples benefit from several tax perks.

Free Consultation: 5* Rated Financial Adviser

  • UK's no. 1 financial adviser rating site, 80,000+ client reviews
  • Enter your postcode to see the top 5 rated advisers near you
  • Search 5,000+ fully vetted financial advisers
  • Claim a free 1 hour consultation to clarify your options


Can I transfer some of my estate to my wife to reduce the inheritance tax our children will pay?

Tuesday, 18 September 2018 | Question and Answer

A certain amount of your estate can be passed on inheritance tax-free; this allowance is called the ‘nil-rate band’ and is currently £325,000.

Inheritance tax avoidance investigations rise as HMRC cracks down on estate undervaluations

Monday, 17 September 2018 | News

HM Revenue and Customs is increasingly targeting estates it believes have undervalued residential property to avoid Inheritance Tax bills, according to an accountancy firm.

One month to declare offshore income before HMRC doubles your tax bill

Friday, 31 August 2018 | News

If you own a holiday home and have forgotten to declare income earned from the property, the time is ripe to get in touch with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Can my Sipp be passed to my beneficiaries free of inheritance tax?

Tuesday, 28 August 2018 | Question and Answer

The actual treatment of an inherited pension pot depends on whether you die before reaching age 75 or not.

“Huge discrepancy” in HMRC tax repayment rate

Friday, 24 August 2018 | News

HMRC has been accused of treating taxpayers unfairly after it increased the interest rate charged to late taxpayers whilst its own repayment rate has remained frozen.

Easy ways to cut your inheritance tax bill

Tuesday, 07 August 2018 | Article

If you hate the idea of HMRC receiving a large chunk of your estate when you die, read these expert tips on how to reduce your ‘death tax’ bill or, better still, leave your heirs with no tax to pay. 

Inheritance tax revenue breaks £5 billion barrier for the first time

Tuesday, 31 July 2018 | News

Inheritance tax revenue has exceeded the £5 billion barrier for the first time, with bereaved families stumping up £5.228 billion in the last tax year (2017/18) – 8% more than the previous year.

Sharp rise in taxpayer challenges to HMRC

Monday, 30 July 2018 | News

The Inland Revenue faces a 36% increase in judicial reviews over unfair tax demands.

Surrey pensioners pay most tax

Monday, 09 July 2018 | News

Surrey pensioners are paying £945 million in in tax every year, according to a Freedom of Information request from mutual insurer and pensions firm Royal London.

Does the tax-free savings allowance of £1,000 affect how much tax I pay when I cash in my unit trust?

Friday, 06 July 2018 | Question and Answer

I’m not sure what investment you hold but, based on your description, I don’t think you have a free-standing unit trust.