Work & family

Jeff Prestridge: My favourite income boosting ideas

Income is the elixir of financial life. It is what pays the bills and the mortgage as well as allowing us to enjoy some of life’s finer things, such as holidays in the sun.

Moneywise readers would give up work for £1m

Friday, 17 November 2017 | News

The magic figure users would need to come into to give up work is £1 million, according to the results of our latest poll.

‘Fifty-somethings’ face unemployment trap

Wednesday, 15 November 2017 | News

People in their 50s are more likely than any other age group to be unemployed and find it harder to get a new job than younger workers, according to a new study from the Centre for Ageing Better.

Money Makeover: ‘Are we making the most of our savings in semi-retirement?’

Monday, 13 November 2017 | Article

Glynn Bilby (pictured above) is a 57-year-old, semi-retired HGV driver from Sheffield. He lives with his wife Kim, a clerk, who is also aged 57 and semi-retired. They have no financial dependents.

Three in five don’t have a will: Sort yours during Will Aid Month

Saturday, 11 November 2017 | News

Parents and cohabiting couples are being urged to make sure they have a will in place to prevent unforeseen outcomes if the worst were to happen.

Women and Money: Mind the pension gap

Friday, 10 November 2017 | TV /Video

Wide-ranging inquiry into household finances launched

Wednesday, 08 November 2017 | News

Household finances, including problematic indebtedness, inter-generational issues, lifetime financial planning, and the effectiveness of the market in financing solutions and products for low income households, are to be...

Funeral payment claims to be made easier

Monday, 06 November 2017 | News

From next year, it should be easier for bereaved families and friends to claim funeral payments.

150,000 workers to receive increased living wage

Monday, 06 November 2017 | News

More than 150,000 workers are to receive a pay boost as the real living wage is increased by at least 30p per hour.

Are you a fan of the sharing economy?

Tuesday, 31 October 2017 | Blog | By Helen Knapman

The ‘sharing economy’ is a phrase that’s bandied around as often as ‘millennials’ these days.

Don’t risk a £100 fine - one week left to file paper tax returns

Tuesday, 24 October 2017 | News

Over one million people who submit paper tax returns have seven days left to send their documents to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).