Can my husband give me a property tax-free?

29 November 2019


My husband owns an investment property worth around £200,000. Can he transfer it to me without paying stamp duty or capital gains tax?

JH/via email


A transfer of an asset between spouses, or civil partners is treated as a ‘no gain, no loss’ disposal. This means that your husband won’t have to pay CGT on his ‘disposal’ to you and you won’t have to pay stamp duty on your acquisition from him.

However, for CGT purposes, you will be deemed to have acquired the property at the same cost that your husband originally bought it for. This will be taken into account if you dispose of the property in the future when working out any potential CGT liability that you may have.

It is important to note that transfers between spouses are only treated in this way if the spouses are living together at some point during the tax year in which the transfer takes place.

Patrick Connoly, certified financial planner at Chase de Vere

Do you have a money question for our panel of experts?

At Moneywise, we have a panel of top experts to help with your money and investing questions. If you have a tax issue that’s keeping you awake at night, a question about investing that you’ve always wondered but been too shy to ask, or even need a full money makeover for free, we’d love to hear from you.

If you have been treated unfairly by a firm send the details to Moneywise’s Fight for your Rights and we could take up the fight for you.


If you have a question about your investments or investing in general, put it to our Investment Doctor.


If you have a question about your personal finances – anything from tax to state pensions, inheritance tax, property sales and more – write to our Ask the experts panel.


Would you like a full money makeover? We will arrange a free one-to-one meeting for you with an FCA-regulated independent financial adviser worth over £2,000.

See for more details.