How can we protect the cash we’re giving our son?

Tracey Moloney
1 November 2019


We want to help out my son with a deposit for his first home and can afford to give him £50,000. The problem is that he is planning to buy with his girlfriend, so if they split up she could walk away with half the money we gave him for a deposit. How can we protect our cash?



In order to protect the money, a deed of trust between yourselves and your son would need to be put in place along with a cohabitation agreement between himself and his girlfriend.

This agreement would make it clear if for any reason the parties separated, who would be entitled to what and how the assets would be split. It would include the fact that you gave him £50,000 in the event that the property is ever sold due to a breakdown in the relationship.

As a belt and braces approach, you would then sign a deed of trust with your son, which would show that the £50,000 was a loan and if for any reason the property is to be sold as a breakdown of the relationship that you would receive the £50,000 back.

Do you have a money question for our panel of experts?

At Moneywise, we have a panel of top experts to help with your money and investing questions. If you have a tax issue that’s keeping you awake at night, a question about investing that you’ve always wondered but been too shy to ask, or even need a full money makeover for free, we’d love to hear from you.

If you have been treated unfairly by a firm send the details to Moneywise’s Fight for your Rights and we could take up the fight for you.


If you have a question about your investments or investing in general, put it to our Investment Doctor.


If you have a question about your personal finances – anything from tax to state pensions, inheritance tax, property sales and more – write to our Ask the experts panel.


Would you like a full money makeover? We will arrange a free one-to-one meeting for you with an FCA-regulated independent financial adviser worth over £2,000.

See for more details.