Managing your pension

Sir Philip Green under pressure to bail out BHS pension

Monday, 25 July 2016 | News

Sir Philip Green has a “moral duty” to help 20,000 BHS pension scheme members following the collapse of the high street retailer earlier this year.

Beware the dangers of pension freedom

Thursday, 21 July 2016 | Article

Few areas of personal finance have undergone such dramatic change in recent years as our pensions.

The dangers of relying on your home as a pension fund

Tuesday, 19 July 2016 | News

People of working age who are planning to use the value of their home to fund their retirement could see their standard of living slump, according to new research from Royal London.

Do I have to pay tax on a pension I've cashed in if I am a non-taxpayer?

Tuesday, 19 July 2016 | Question and Answer

The first 25% of the payout of your pension will be tax-free. The remaining 75% will be taxed at the basic rate of tax at 20%.

Ros Altmann resigns as pensions minister

Tuesday, 19 July 2016 | News

Baroness Ros Altmann has formally resigned from her position as pensions minister which she has held since...

Law firm to challenge pension scheme restructuring

Wednesday, 13 July 2016 | News

A London law firm is challenging the restructuring of a final salary pension scheme to protect the...

Performing arts workers may miss out on the state pension

Tuesday, 12 July 2016 | Article

A planned shake-up of national insurance contributions could leave actors or singers unable to afford to build entitlement to state pension.

How the self-employed may miss out on the state pension

Tuesday, 04 October 2016 | Article

Low-paid self-employed workers workers, such as those running small businesses or actors and singers with seasonal jobs, may be stung with a 400% increase to...

Should I pay extra now to make sure I will receive the full state pension?

Friday, 08 July 2016 | Question and Answer

Those who reach state pension age from 6 April 2016 need 35 qualifying years to be entitled to the full state pension.

Will my mother now have to repay her benefits due to pension error?

Tuesday, 05 July 2016 | Question and Answer

The council may decide that your mother has been overpaid housing benefit and council tax support because she received some of her pension income late.  If the council decides your mother was overpaid, they may recover the...