I paid the equivalent of NICs in Italy. Do they count towards my UK pension?

11 July 2018


Between 2001 and 2007 I worked in Italy. During that time, I paid the Italian equivalent of National Insurance Contributions (NICs). Since 2007 I’ve been back living and working in the UK and have been paying NICs here.

Are those six years in Italy eligible to contribute towards my state pension in the UK or not?



If you have lived in or paid into the social security system of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland or a country that has a social security agreement with the UK, that may help you to build up a state pension here. As Italy is in the EEA, it should count.

To find out if your six years of paying into the Italian state system might count towards your UK state pension, you should contact the International Pension Centre (IPC) at Gov.uk/international-pension-centre.

“Paying into social security in the EEA counts here”

The IPC is the organisation to contact about state pensions and benefits if you have lived overseas.

If these years don’t count towards your UK state pension, you might be able to claim a state pension from Italy to cover this period.