Can I claim some of my ex-husband’s pension savings?

4 April 2016


When I got divorced in 2007, I was given the family home in our divorce settlement because I had custody of our four children.However, I had to agree to sell it and live somewhere else.

Due to the recession, the house was sold at a great loss and my children and I had to move into rented accommodation.

My husband got to keep all of his pension savings. I would like to know if I’m entitled to some of his pension?



You need to check if the court approved a consent order recording your financial agreement as part of the divorce process. If this is the case, you won’t be able to come back to court now and make a claim against your ex-husband’s pension.

However, depending on your particular circumstances, you may be able to make an application under the Children Act 1989 Schedule 1 for financial provision for your children.

Nothing precludes a formally married parent from bringing an application.