Rise of the landlord-in-law: 2.5 million young people return home - with a partner in tow

12 December 2018

Almost 2.5 million children have returned to live in their parents’ home with their partner in tow, new research reveals.

Millions are having to move back home to save money to get on the property ladder as a result of soaring house prices and deposit requirements.

According to Churchill Insurance, 12% of children over 18 have moved back to their family home with a partner.

A quarter of these couples have moved back home to save money for a house deposit, whilst 12% did so after graduating from university and a further 12% returned home because they could no longer afford their rent.

This works out around to 1.25 million couples in the last five years, highlighting the financial struggles young couples face when it comes to funding their own home.

Most parents are happy to see their offspring return to the family nest, with 28% grateful they could spend more time with their child and 26% pleased to give them the opportunity to save for their own home.

However, not all were as pleased to have their kids return home, with 34% of parents reporting a negative outcome as a result of their child and partner moving in.

The biggest cause of disputes are over housework, with 14% of parents being frustrated that their child and partner did not help with jobs and chores, while 11% of parents were left feeling as though they treated the house like a hotel.

When it comes to finances, 30% charge their child rent, with the average monthly payment standing at £115.60, more than eight times less than the average monthly rent in the UK of £928.

Partners are even less likely to pay rent, with just 18% being charged for staying with their partner’s parents. Even those who do pay get a good deal with the average rent charged coming in at just £109.90.

A spokesperson for Churchill says: “If your child is thinking about moving back in to the family home it is important to make sure you inform your insurer and update your home contents insurance to take into account for their possessions, as this could increase value of the items kept in your home. 

"It is also sensible to consider adding personal possession cover to your policy, as if your child or their partner are planning to take their personal belongings out with them, such as a laptop or phone you may want to ensure these are covered for accidental loss or damage or theft.”

Add new comment