Tesco Bank online service resumes following fraud hit

9 November 2016
Image

Tesco Bank customers can now make online transactions after the bank announced “normal service” had resumed late last night.

Online transactions had been suspended from current accounts since Monday 7 November, following a fraud hit on the bank over the weekend.  

Customers have, however, been able to use services such as mobile banking, cash withdrawals, chip and pin payments, existing bill payments, and direct debits as normal. 

 

The bank also confirmed in a statement published at 10pm yesterday that around 9,000 of its 136,000 current account customers were affected by these fraudulent transactions.

It adds that all of these customers were fully reimbursed by the evening of Tuesday 8 November - to the tune of a collective £2.5 million.

The statement goes on to say that personal data “was not compromised” as a result of the fraud.

Tesco Bank had previously said that some 20,000 people had money fraudulently taken from their accounts over the weekend, and that a further 20,000 had been affected by “suspicious activity”.

Benny Higgins, Tesco Bank chief executive, says: “Our first priority throughout this incident has been protecting and looking after our customers and we’d again like to apologise for the worry and inconvenience this issue has caused.”

A criminal investigation into the fraud is ongoing.

Add new comment