Holidaymakers looking to get the most bang for their buck abroad should head to Bangkok, according to new research by travel comparison site Kayak.
Its findings reveal Thailand’s capital city is the best value among ten popular summer holiday destinations, costing holidaymakers £838 on average for return flights, a stay in a 3* hotel, a week’s car hire, six meals, three cocktails, a city tour and a cheap souvenir, such as a fridge magnet.
At the other end of the scale is New York in America, which Kayak says costs the average traveller a whopping £2,205 based on the same assumptions as above.
When it comes to flights alone, flying to Palma in Majorca is the cheapest option costing £273 return on average, while Orlando in America is the priciest at £732 return.
See the table below for the full results.
Top tips for cutting costs abroad
However, as the prices used by Kayak are only averages, there are much bigger savings to be had. See Moneywise’s 10 Holiday Hacks guide for the full lowdown, but in summary:
- Use online comparison sites, such as Kayak and Skyscanner, to find the cheapest flights.
- Consider Lastminute.com’s secret hotels or Airbnb to save on hotels.
- Buy travel insurance when you book, not when you go, and don’t let cheap travel insurance ruin your holiday.
- Get a free EHIC if you’re going to Europe to access healthcare at the same price as locals.
- Don’t fall for copycat websites when booking VISAs or ESTAs.
- Buy car hire in advance for the cheapest deals. Kayak’s research only included prices at the hire desk, which are traditionally the priciest.
- Use a specialist overseas credit cards to cut the cost of spending. See the Best cards for overseas spending.
- Avoid getting cash at the airport; use TravelMoneyMax to find the cheapest cash exchange rates.
- Stock up on bargain bucket suncream; just ensure it screens against both UVA and UVB to a high level.
- Use online forums, such as TripAdvisor.co.uk, to glean top tips for having fun abroad.
The best value holiday destinations
(Click the table to enlarge.)
1. Average cost for return flights in GBP
2. Average cost for a one week 3-star hotel stay in GBP
3. Average cost for one week's car hire in GBP, excluding fuel charges
4. Average expenses for two meals (lunch and dinner) a day for 3 days in GBP
5. Average price for a single city tour or museum ticket in GBP
6. Average price for three cocktails at the beach or at the bar in GBP
7. Average price for a souvenir (e.g. fridge magnet) in GBP