Check your council tax valuation

5 February 2008

Households in the wrong council tax band could be due thousands of pounds of refunds for overpayments.

Here's how to get your money back. 

How it works

The council tax system was established in 1993 and properties were placed in bands from A to H, based on valuations in 1991.

While homes in Wales have since been revalued, properties in England and Scotland haven't.

If you can prove your property is in a higher band than it should be, you can reclaim overpayments, often backdated to 1993.

Check your banding

You'll need to find out if your house is in the right band by checking the banding and value of your property and comparing it to your neighbours.

Enter your postcode at the Valuation Office Agency website ( to find out your council tax band, then check the bands of neighbours with similar houses to yours - they need to be roughly the same size and age for an accurate comparison.

Research online

If you don't know the value of your home, you can find out what similar properties in your local area have sold for recently by visiting Zoopla or Rightmove.

Next, you should work out what your home was worth in 1991 by using Nationwide's house price calculator.

Now you'll need to compare this figure against the council tax bands - which will be available on your local council's website or at - to see if your banding is correct.

Challenge your banding

Double-check the previous steps, because the reassessment you will be asking for could actually place you in a higher band. If you do believe your banding is unfair, contact your local valuation office for a proposal form.

You will need to send your valuation office evidence, including house prices for addresses of up to five similar properties in a lower Council Tax band than yours.

If you do not agree with their decision you can still challenge your band by finding your property on the valuation office website and selecting your address.

You can then select a link if you think your tax band is wrong and provide evidence if you wish to make a challenge.


In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Been on to voa and they say nationwide valuation service is not acceptable proof how else do i find out what my property was worth in 1991

In reply to by russell march (not verified)

My 3 bed house has been given tax band E and my neighbour's 5 bed house with an acre of land is in the same band.This development is only 3 properties-the other house is 4 bed( Band E) and were built in 2005.How do I challenge my banding?Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

In reply to by russell march (not verified)

How are you getting on?

Hi Russell, how are you getting on with your re valuation? I am just about to start mine and looking for some tips please.

We have just moved into our self build 3bed, the council have valued it as an E, 3 beds at the top of our road are C's and the farm house next door is a 4 bed and band D so we feel E for us is very harsh.

Any tips would be greatfully received - thanks

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

I believe I am in the wrong band council tax band B I live in a 1 bedroom council home. In 1999 I bought a caravan and lived on a caravan site I paid band A my caravan cost £12,500 and I sold it for £3,000 so it was not worth £40,000for band A I queried this many times.

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

I don't think I'm in the right council tax band , could I be advised please

In reply to by anonymous_stub (not verified)

Brought my house 1984, £29.000 band E so why are my neighbours all band D when all have large extension. Can I have a new valuation please

I believe my council tax band is wrong

I have provided evidence to the VOA who are dismissing my challenge with unconvincing responses. Many neighbouring properties are below my G Band Tax. The most obvious comparison of the properties I illustrated as evidence is next door, with a 5-bed house, similar sized land and a Tax Band E. I calculated that both houses were of roughly the same value in 1991, and they answered my 4-bed detached bungalow is bigger than next door's 5-bed house. How is that an answer?

Add new comment