Can I switch my husband's no-claims discount to my new policy?

Matt Oliver
23 January 2020


I am a named driver on my husband’s car insurance. He is considering giving up driving, therefore I will need to take out insurance under my name. He has over nine years of no claims.

Is there an insurance company that may look at myself being able to transfer the no-claims bonus over?

MH/via online comments


Unfortunately, although you may have driven for years without accidents or claims as a named driver, it’s unlikely that insurers will give you the benefit of your husband’s no-claims discount (NCD) when you take over as the only driver. That’s because NCDs are built up by the individual, usually the policyholder, and not the named additional drivers.

In these circumstances I would suggest that you speak to your existing insurer about what provision they may be prepared to make for you to become the policyholder and primary driver at renewal. If you and your husband have been customers for some time with a history of safe driving, the insurers may award you some NCD on a discretionary basis.

However, even if the existing insurers do give you some NCD if you remain with them, you should still compare the premiums you may be offered by other insurers if you were to switch at renewal. Even without an NCD you may find that you’re offered competitive premiums by a different insurer as a new customer with a good driving history.

Matt Oliver is a car insurance expert at GoCompare

Do you have a money question for our panel of experts?

At Moneywise, we have a panel of top experts to help with your money and investing questions. If you have a tax issue that’s keeping you awake at night, a question about investing that you’ve always wondered but been too shy to ask, or even need a full money makeover for free, we’d love to hear from you.

If you have been treated unfairly by a firm send the details to Moneywise’s Fight for your Rights and we could take up the fight for you.


If you have a question about your investments or investing in general, put it to our Investment Doctor.


If you have a question about your personal finances – anything from tax to state pensions, inheritance tax, property sales and more – write to our Ask the experts panel.


Would you like a full money makeover? We will arrange a free one-to-one meeting for you with an FCA-regulated independent financial adviser worth over £2,000.

See for more details.