Come on Moneywise - there is no such thing as a British bank, or if there is can you classify? ....
* Abbey: Owned by Spanish based Bank Santander.
* Alliance & Leicester: Owned by Spanish based Bank Santander.
* Bradford & Bingley: Owned by Spanish based Bank Santander.
* Clydesdale Bank: Owned by the National Australian Banking Corporation.
* Egg: Owned by US banking giant Citibank.
* HSBC: Floated in the UK but is ultimately the “Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation” so Chinese now.
* Post Office Savings: Owned by the Bank of Ireland, not covered by the UK financial services compensation scheme
* Yorkshire Bank: Owned by the National Australian Banking Corporation.
News, articles and guides on all things money related, from pensions and investments to savings and mortgages. Moneywise offers independent news and views, video and blogs as well as uniquely independent and interactive comparison services.
Moneywise distributes services supplied by Interactive Investor. Interactive Investor Trading Limited, trading as "Interactive Investor", is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Copyright © 2016 Moneywise.