10 bizarre insurance claims
What do snails, squirrels and badgers have in common? Well, according to specialist insurer RIAS, they've all been to blame for significant insurance payouts.
Peter Corfield, managing director at RIAS, said: "While we go out of our way to ensure that our homes and gardens are safe and secure, sometimes it's the most unlikely events that can end up causing real damage. Not all claims are straightforward and sometimes we do see some bizarre scenarios. Babies and animals are often the culprits."
Here follows a recap of some of its most bizarre claims for the 2012/13 financial year.
1. A 71-year-old lady from Bath accidentally locked a badger in her shed. To make its bid for freedom, it bashed a hole in the wall. The lady claimed for the repairs.
2. After seeing a dog on TV a dog in Galashiels, Scotland, decided to jump into the screen after it. That was the end of the TV.
3. A small child spilt a glass of Coke on his grandad's laptop. Drying it with a hairdryer melted the keys and resulted in a claim for £239 worth of damage.
4. A 73-year-old gentleman from Preston made a claim for £78 after a snail munched its way through his carpet.
5. One 62-year-old got very unlucky during a gale in Plymouth – his glasses were knocked off his face and into the path of an oncoming car, resulting in £469 worth of damage.
6. Echoing the tale of the badger, a trapped squirrel in the garage of an 86-year-old lady from Exeter managed to break a window to escape.
7. A grandfather in Guildford was caught out after showing off his baby grandson over Skype. The baby was sick all over his laptop, resulting in a claim for £437.
8. It's not just Santa that has to carefully navigate chimneys. A pigeon fell down one in Aberdeenshire and damaged the carpet, some ornaments and the sofa when he landed. He created a bill of more than £8,000.
9. We all know puppies will chew anything they can get hold of, but a seven-month old puppy in Cardiff stole a litre bottle of cooking oil from the kitchen, dragged it into the living room and chewed it on the sofa. The owner had to claim for £953 worth of damage.
10. A deer fell into the swimming pool of a 74-year-old gentleman from Guildford, resulting in a claim for a broken cover.