Glossary: Rebuilding costs

When you take out buildings insurance, the fabric and structure of a property is not covered at the property’s market value selling price, but on the cost of rebuilding. The amount of cover you need should always include the cost of demolition (if needed), clearing the site, and architects’ and builders’ fees. Most insurers will ask if the property is of “standard construction” (which usually means brick walls with a tile roof), how many bedrooms it has and its configuration (detached, semi, terrace) and work the rebuilding costs from there. If you want an independent valuation for rebuilding costs, you need a surveyor rather than an estate agent.

Relevant to: Home insurance

More about